Focus on The Few Most Important Things And Nothing Else

I’m one of those people who can’t wait to change everything, so I try to change everything immediately. It never worked out. I got overwhelmed by all the things I wanted to change that at the end I didn’t change anything.

Additionally I’m not patient at all. I wish I could have and know everything immediately.

This attitude keeps me from being more successful. It keeps me from doing one thing really good, be successful with it and finishing it.

That’s why I haven’t posted this whole last week because I was occupied with my studies, friends and networking. At first I thought it will work out to study, to write online and to have free time for my friends and family. But now I know that my studies are more important to me than writing online. Well I already knew it before but I didn’t want it to be true.


Choose to focus your time, energy and conversation around people who inspire you, support you and help you to grow you into your happiest, strongest, wisest self. – Karen Salmansohn


Do you know the 80/20 rule?

It means that 20% of things make the 80% of the result. Focus on the few most important things for yourself and delegate or delete the rest. Usually 80% is enough or even more than enough for the thing you want to achieve. The other 20% are for those people who call themselves perfectionists. Perfectionism is mostly a waste of time, because those 20% take more time than the other 80%, even though it’s only worth 20% of it.


The magic word is: focus.

Focus on your most important things. Not the most urgent one. The most important things. They are the most important things to you based on your own values.

If your family is priority number one, then you should make your decisions based on this priority. Spend valuable time with your family instead of working late or on weekends. Your kids only have one childhood.

What 90-year-old people regret the most is to not have spent as much time with their families and loved ones as they wanted to. They don’t care about all the work they’ve done to make money. They care about the happy times they’ve spent with friends and family.


Write down your values and your priorities and then make decisions based on them. Analyse your life to figure out how you’re spending your time. Change your habits one at a time to live according to your values.

That’s how you’re able to live happy.


The two most powerful warriors are patience and time. – Leo Tolstoy


If you want to read more about the 80/20 principle, there is a really interesting book from Richard Koch which looks like a lot on the first sight, but it covers a lot and it’s really helpful to understand the whole 80/20 principle topic.


Check out more interesting books in my book list. Continue reading at Medium or at Twitter.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *